FIRE CROTCH ROCKET

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Commuting Part 2



I commuted almost 60 miles a day. Each way! Monday - Friday before I started having health issues. I did that for 2 years. Most of the time I commuted by Metra train, walked 8 blocks to catch the bus, then crossed the street to my office in the Bloomingdales building in Chicago. It was a 2 hour commute. Each way! And that was in good weather with no train or bus delays!

Frankly I don't know how I did it before Anastasia got me my Ipod. Well, I do know how, I'm a people watcher. Yup, I dare say I could be a professional one. (I wonder if there is much call for that in the job market?) Everyday I stood at the same spot on the platform, near the same people. I heard all their stories. I walked onto the train car, always went left, not right. Always sat 4 seats from the front of the car, always on the right, unless I needed to move back further. On the way home, always got on the same car, 2nd to the last car, 2nd seat on the right. I think I always sat on the right because that way, no matter the direction I didn't have to deal with the car on the other track racing past. (I realize now, rereading that how psycho that sounds, but you know what? Everyone else had their seat patterns too because it was mostly the same people who sat around me in the same seats every day.)

The ride to work was relatively quiet, although there was a major talker that got on at Tinley Park. She would talk nonstop to her seatmate every day. She always seemed to know them, even though they got on before her. The way home was always loud. A lot of drunk iron workers who byob'd it. They were stumbling drunk before they even got on the train. A group of 6 or more of the same women gathered in the front seats of my car talking about all sorts of things. I just sat there, looking distant, bored even, but I heard every word. Sometimes it was hard not to laugh, but somehow I managed.

When I started having health problems I began driving in to work. It saved me at least an hour each way in my commute, but it did nothing for my sanity, or my checkbook for that matter. ($12 a day to park, before 9am. If I missed 9am, it was double.) I love, love, love to drive, but there is nothing worse than Chicago rush hours. I knew it was really bad when I switched over to the cd that I burned for my son. It starts out with Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", then David Bowie's "Under Pressure" and I open the windows and the sun roof (if it's not raining/snowing) and blast it. When I used to drive the kids for visitation if they heard me switch to that cd they knew that Mom's nerves were frazzled and they better behave.

So, what's your commute? I'd love to hear about it in the comment section.

A guest post by Lola @ Lola's Diner ©2008-2009
©2008-2009 Firecrotch Rocket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog work.. keep it up..
will drop by your site often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments..
Have a great day.. Cheers!!!