FIRE CROTCH ROCKET

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Looking For The Ultimate Smoking Jacket?

Does anyone even know what a Smoking Jacket is anymore? I mean, when was the last time you saw one? Sure, Hugh Hefner sports one. When have you NOT seen him in a Smoking Jacket? Back in the day, Dean Martin, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and Frank Sinatra all sported them. Did you know that Fred Astaire was buried in his Smoking Jacket?

If you fancy a Smoking Jacket, halloween costume type ones are available. Some of them look very cheesy. But if you really want a Smoking Jacket that isn’t a cheap halloween costume and like bargains, check out Hilleso & Company Designs – Deluxe Smoking Jacket, currently on sale at $199.

If you fancy a truly luxurious Smoking Jacket, and can afford to drop a serious chunk of change, check out Brooks Brothers Cotton Velvet Striped Smoking Jacket, $998.

You can even purchase a Cordurounds Reversible Smoking Jacket. Yes! It's reversible. Check out their video:


Black Reversible Smoking Jacket.

A very ambitious blogger even made a Smoking Jacket for her husband.
Fisticuffs Versus The Guards – The Smoking Jacket
. If you’re inclined to sew one for your spouse, you can get a vintage pattern at Etsy – Stylehive Store – Smoking Jacket pattern 9230.

I sew, but I don't know if I'm ambitious enough to take on a Smoking Jacket. I mean, if I'm sewing it for myself, that kind of defeats the whole calm and relaxation mystic. I've sewn ambitious projects before. Back in the 70's I made a lined hat which if I had to describe was a large tam with a visor. A jumbo 70's newsboy hat, if you will. I've also made vests and skirts. I'm not without skills, however a lined Smoking Jacket is very ambitious and it's been ages since I've sewn anything more complex than say...a pillow.

I think I could “rock” a Smoking Jacket. I mean, a delicate flowered robe just isn’t me. A Smoking Jacket, I would make me look all relaxed and worldly. And I would definitely look like a dyke, because a traditional Smoking Jacket is very butch looking and not at all femme (though I have seen many flowery Smoking Jackets). I think Anastasia could definitely "rock" a flowery Smoking Jacket, though even though she is a smoker, she is always warm, so I doubt she'd wear one.

So what do you think? Do you buy into the Smoking Jacket mystic?

Be sure to check out today's posts on my other blogs:
Lola's Diner
Lola's Victory Garden
©2008-2009 Firecrotch Rocket

2 comments:

*lynne* said...

I've never understood the smoking jacket concept - looks like a bathrobe to me! And the cravat that goes along with it? Yikes! :p

Patricia Rockwell said...

Well, I love the idea of women wearing smoking jackets! Why should men have all the fun of wearing such nifty garments?